Complex Gynecologic disorders are a group of conditions that affect the pelvic floor.
What is Complex Gynecologic Disorder?
The pelvic floor includes the muscles, ligaments and connective tissue in the lowest part of the pelvis. It supports your organs, including the bowel, bladder, uterus, vagina, and rectum. The pelvic floor prevents these organs from falling down or out of your body. It also helps the organs function properly.
What are the symptoms?
- Urinary problems, such as urgent need to urinate, painful urination, or incomplete emptying of the bladder.
- Constipation, straining or pain during bowel movements
- Pain or pressure in the vagina or rectum
- A heavy feeling in the pelvis or a bulge in the vagina or rectum
- Muscle spasms in the pelvis
What are the risk factors?
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Obesity and limited physical activity
- Problems urinating and having a bowel movement
- Pelvic injury, pelvic surgery
- Radiation treatments
- Repeated heavy lifting
What treatments are available?
Non-surgical options such as:
- Dietary changes
- Pelvic floor muscle exercises
- Pelvic floor physical therapy